1996-01-07 - Re: NSA says strong crypto to china??

Header Data

From: “James M. Cobb” <jcobb@ahcbsd1.ovnet.com>
To: “Timothy C. May” <tcmay@got.net>
Message Hash: 738953080f0a667c37ad48c9f0813b54eb6687ed4edf9d76978b655c8e759dd4
Message ID: <Pine.BSD.3.91.960107165652.10716A-100000@ahcbsd1.ovnet.com>
Reply To: <ad154b940f02100416a1@[205.199.118.202]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-07 22:23:15 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 06:23:15 +0800

Raw message

From: "James M. Cobb" <jcobb@ahcbsd1.ovnet.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 06:23:15 +0800
To: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay@got.net>
Subject: Re: NSA says strong crypto to china??

Tim,

On 01 07 96 you say:

 ...the crypto anarchy notions we talk about makes collection
 of taxes increasingly problematic.

You also say:

 Today, and especially with strong crypto and all the develop-
 ing methods we talk about, how will the Ruler know what to
 tax?

You conclude:

 ...I believe that this issue [collection of taxes] is one of the
 motivations to restrict the use of strong crypto and to make
 transactions monitorable.

In 02 96 Internet World, science fiction writer Vernor Vinge
is interviewed:

 Suddenly [about 1984] people realized that if a 100 million
 people each had computers that were one-tenth of one percent
 as smart as the government's computers, they had much less to
 fear about government.

 Now we've entered an era where the government understands this.
 One the one hand, police forces are legitimately [?] frightened;
 law enforcement could become much more difficult.  But at the
 same time --with some new laws and technology-- police powers
 could be much greater than before....  You've heard of ubiquitous
 computing, but how about UBIQUITOUS LAW ENFORCEMENT?

Developing that line of thought, Vinge says:

 ...the old Clipper chip proposal recommended that GOVERNMENT
 LOGIC be present in certain communications equipment.

 For the future I think this aspect of Clipper was as significant
 as the crypto issues.  What would it be like if a certain amount
 of GOVERNMENT LOGIC were mandated in the design of every host
 in a country?

And Vinge concludes:

            WE COULD HAVE REAL-TIME TAXATION.

and

      ...very fine-grain CONTROL would be possible.

Capitalization in the above excerpts is mine.

The whole interview is worth reading.  Its title is: Reality &
Fiction.  It starts at page 82.  Jeff Ubois asked the questions.

Every HOST in a country?  As Larry Ellison says in 12 26 95 /
01 02 96 Computerworld 41:

 The ideal operating system arrives across a network when you
 turn your computer on.

The GOVERNMENT LOGIC arrives too...

Cordially,

Jim