1996-01-23 - Re: Blacknet & Lotus Notes

Header Data

From: Alex Strasheim <cp@proust.suba.com>
To: herbs@connobj.com (Herb Sutter)
Message Hash: 7d4501f45c552390b72710557357b8e5720b0103b9b936e13f8589a76f79cbd4
Message ID: <199601231607.KAA01940@proust.suba.com>
Reply To: <2.2.32.19960123140645.006ce49c@mail.interlog.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-23 17:24:45 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 01:24:45 +0800

Raw message

From: Alex Strasheim <cp@proust.suba.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 01:24:45 +0800
To: herbs@connobj.com (Herb Sutter)
Subject: Re: Blacknet & Lotus Notes

> I think people are missing the point... even if we assume the absolute worst
> case, that the private key is broken and becomes publicly available,
> international Notes users are no worse off than before.

This sentiment is why this is such a clever move on the part of the
government.

There are a number of problems with the Lotus plan.

First of all, 40 bits isn't secure.  That's what international users have,
not 64 bits, and it's just not good enough.  International Notes
customers know it, we know it, Lotus knows it, and the government knows
it.

Second of all, any restriction on algorithms and key lengths is
unacceptable.  People and businesses have the right to protect their
privacy.  American software companies have to be able to deliver privacy
if they want to remain competitive in the global market.  It's essential
that the government acknowledge these facts.

Finally, this agreement sets a very dangerous precdent.  The government is
holding keys and compelling people to "trust" them.  This is real, live
gak.  You're right -- in a sense no one's any worse off than they would
be with 40 bit keys.  But in another sense, there's a slippery slope
problem here.  Gak is absolutely unacceptable in any way, shape, or
form.  It's completely beyond the scope of what the government ought to
be doing.  If we sit by idly while they set up the comparatively
toothless gak, it will make things that much easier for them when more
ambitious gaks come down the pike.

We need to do whatever we can to convince international customers that
Notes isn't secure.  And we need to make Lotus understand why this deal
isn't in anyone's interest.

Thread