1996-01-17 - Re: Crypto anarchist getting through customs

Header Data

From: Alan Horowitz <alanh@infi.net>
To: attila <attila@primenet.com>
Message Hash: 80ebc72dcdbf02a883369f154d16ab57374ad747b5f9f8132418ed07b6d0f9a1
Message ID: <Pine.SV4.3.91.960116180442.8762C-100000@larry.infi.net>
Reply To: <Pine.BSD.3.91.960116073156.8962B-100000@usr2.primenet.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-17 00:51:50 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 08:51:50 +0800

Raw message

From: Alan Horowitz <alanh@infi.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 08:51:50 +0800
To: attila <attila@primenet.com>
Subject: Re: Crypto anarchist getting through customs

I didn't say I like the State. I said that there isn't, relatively
speaking, much *political* content to the police-state that is the border.

Remember when those Sandanista sympathizers made the news, quite a number
of years ago, for getting detained /FBI-interogated/harrassed when they
crossed back into the USA?  It made the news because that sort of thing
*is out of the ordinary* for the USA.

And, while I will certainly entertain the suggestion that their actions
had a political underpinning, the Feds didn't lack for allegations of
violation of United States Statutes to justify the harrasment.

If these  do-gooders had been doing something that comported with the
sympathys of the (then) Administration, if they were in step with the
Emperor's current "party line", then any such criminal violations would
have been ignored. We all know that. So what?  Welcome to realpolitic.

Alan Horowitz
alanh@norfolk.infi.net

Thread