1996-01-03 - Re: Guerilla Internet Service Providers (fwd)

Header Data

From: Peter Monta <pmonta@qualcomm.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 82d4970bec1829ac8bb903cf9a17ffb33b887e03c8cfe5d1b80c6838d890dd65
Message ID: <199601030140.RAA03047@mage.qualcomm.com>
Reply To: <m0tXAsV-00090IC@pacifier.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-03 01:40:48 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 2 Jan 96 17:40:48 PST

Raw message

From: Peter Monta <pmonta@qualcomm.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 96 17:40:48 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Guerilla Internet Service Providers (fwd)

> It seems to me that phone line costs are turning into a floor price for
> Internet access, when they shouldn't really be.  The main asset telephone
> companies have, right now, is in RIGHTS OF WAY.  Put an ISP in a business
> park that allows you to run  your own dedicated copper pairs, and you've
> bypassed $25/month/line business phone line charges.
>
> At some point, individual urban and suburban blocks could easily be
> "guerilla re-wired" for ISP access without serious trenching, etc.  The
> phoneco would still be involved, but in a far lower-profit mode, as the
> supplier of a single T1 to a multi-block area.

For the "last mile" to the ISP user, wireless could be a better bet.
Have antenna, will surf.

(Not speaking for Qualcomm, etc.)

Peter Monta   pmonta@qualcomm.com
Qualcomm, Inc./Globalstar