1996-01-03 - Re: Massey, CEO of Compuserve, on Internet

Header Data

From: John Goerzen <goerzenj@complete.org>
To: Steve14571@aol.com
Message Hash: 83e064a383d3642026ebd501f62142798e8c3796f676feea638f09c4b0acd200
Message ID: <Pine.BSF.3.91.960102230047.229B-100000@complete.org>
Reply To: <951231091526_102864093@mail06.mail.aol.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-03 12:17:16 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 3 Jan 1996 20:17:16 +0800

Raw message

From: John Goerzen <goerzenj@complete.org>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 1996 20:17:16 +0800
To: Steve14571@aol.com
Subject: Re: Massey, CEO of Compuserve, on Internet

I have not been a CompuServe subscriber for years.  But I do remember how
things worked.

It is my _assumption_ that the Usenet gateway operates by importing all
Usenet news into the CompuServe system, at which point users can access it.

CompuServe is not location-dependant.  The network operates exactly the
same regardless of calling location (indeed, the system doesn't even know
where you're calling from I believe).  It is a worldwide CompuServe
Network that people use to access it.  This network just allows dialups
and then gets the users connected to the CompuServe computers.  The main
computers handle all traffic.  They don't are location-independant,
making it impossible to block access based on location.

--
John Goerzen, programmer and owner | Merry Christmas!                    |
Communications Centre, Goessel, KS +-------------------------------------+

On Sun, 31 Dec 1995 Steve14571@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 95-12-30 21:34:12 EST, accessnt@ozemail.com.au (Mark
> Neely) wrote:
>
> I assume that C$ is only filtering the newsfeed as it hits German shores?
> Please tell me
> they aren't denying access to these "banned" newsgroups for all users
> worldwide!
>
> This is exactly what they are doing, Mr. Neely.  I am not familiar with
> CompuServe, as I have never used it.  However, based on my understanding of
> how Usenet operates, it would be possible to write software and incorporate
> it into CompuServe software that would block German readers from the
> "obscene" newsgroups.  CompuServe would rather score points with the mostly
> ignorant general public by saying that they are becoming more
> "family-oriented."
>
> I get my access through America Online, and I am afraid that these monolith
> online services (AOL, Delphi, Prodigy) will follow C$'s lead so they may also
> say they are "family-oriented."
>
> I will no longer send mail to addresses that end with "compuserve.com."  If
> AOL decides to become family oriented, I will look for other ways to connect
> to the net.

Thread