1996-01-06 - Re: Mixmaster On A $20 Floppy?

Header Data

From: tallpaul@pipeline.com (tallpaul)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 859b8fdf7d928da55a1236cc78e1aee307f0dcb22cb29705f8f65150e6d6bc7f
Message ID: <199601062050.PAA04925@pipe1.nyc.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 7 Jan 1996 05:15:51 +0800

Raw message

From: tallpaul@pipeline.com (tallpaul)
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 1996 05:15:51 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Mixmaster On A $20 Floppy?

On Jan 06, 1996 12:16:57, 'Laszlo Vecsey <master@internexus.net>' wrote:

>> >Question 1: Can you fit linux, pgp, mixmaster, etc. on the 135 Mb disk
and
>> >have enough useful space left over for a useful amount of data?
>>
>> [snip snip snip]
>>
>> But if I can squeeze everything I need to turn an arbitrary PC
>> into a secure (modulo hardware) login session into 1.44 MB + boot image,

>> I don't think there's a problem putting all the stuff you want on a
>> 135MB disk.  Hell, the _hard disk_ on my Linux box is only 80MB...
>
>Someone can get one of those tiny devices that slips on the end of a
>keyboard connector and captures all the scan codes - you're better off
>bringing the whole computer (laptop) along with your floppy.

First, I am not convinced that such devices exist in the real, practical
world. They would require either storage hardware or radio transmitters,
all in a package small enough to be undetectable to the naked eye.

Second, I do not think it practicable that the cosmic-nasties (of one's
chosen social bias) could, in the real, practical world, run black-bag jobs
on tens of thousands of surburban garages as a prophylactic measure against
teenagers "playfully" setting up Mixmaster sites.

The software costs of quality crypto approach nil thanks to the terrific
folks who brough us things like linux and pgp. It is, I think, easy for us
to miss the giantic steps forward that these technologies represent.
Imagine talking to an IBM-mainframe priest of not-too-many years ago about
the idea of something like linux; imagine the same thing with an NSA
bureaucrat about the development cost of a security concept/package like
pgp!

Move hardware costs downward and user-interface upward, and Mixmaster isn't
a "black art" of cypherpunks. It is a parlor game for teenage slumber
parties. That's the type of world I want to see.
--
     -- tallpaul
     -- Any political analysis that fits on a bumper sticker is wrong.

Thread