1996-01-03 - Re: Massey, CEO of Compuserve, on Internet

Header Data

From: Tony Iannotti <tony@secapl.com>
To: “Robert A. Rosenberg” <hal9001@panix.com>
Message Hash: 85e08ed380c045f4b0cd5a47bcdf96947ba4e1177cfd7fa1a1c31a428a930954
Message ID: <Pine.A32.3.91.960103162745.188461B-100000@fozzie.secapl.com>
Reply To: <v02140a06ad0fcc322a7c@[165.254.158.231]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-03 23:06:11 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 4 Jan 1996 07:06:11 +0800

Raw message

From: Tony Iannotti <tony@secapl.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 1996 07:06:11 +0800
To: "Robert A. Rosenberg" <hal9001@panix.com>
Subject: Re: Massey, CEO of Compuserve, on Internet

On Wed, 3 Jan 1996, Robert A. Rosenberg wrote:

> CIS always knows where you are dialing in from. Here is the start of a
> typical connection (using the Mac Program NAVIGATOR).
>
> >0001NUH
> >
> >Host Name:  CIS
> >
> >User ID: xxxxx,xxx/INT
> >Password:
> >[Navigator: Logged on]
> >
> >Welcome to CompuServe Information ServiceT01NUH @38400!
> >
> >Last access: Mon, Dec 18, 1995 23:11
> >Connected to port CIS T01NUH @38400
>
> That NUH identifies that I am calling in via a V34 Node in NYC and the T01
> says I got the first modem on the Rotory. If CIS wanted to restrict access
> via the NYS nodes, that NUH would be an adequate flag to trigger this
> action.

Wouldn't this require some software routines added to check for this?  I
expect the decision to build or buy is what CIS is now weighing. Also, I
would imagine that a German could always call a POP outside the country if
they wanted to pay for it..... (note that I am still not in favor of the
action, but these are probably CIS's considerations.)

Thread