1996-01-23 - Re: The Collapse of Ideas in a Pop Culture

Header Data

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
To: Simon Spero <scottst@ionet.net>
Message Hash: 8816971563962b31ea4beab1c71c77d147d1baaef7c7091c56df729d23ddec29
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960123194513.006df544@panix.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 05:53:53 +0800

Raw message

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 05:53:53 +0800
To: Simon Spero <scottst@ionet.net>
Subject: Re: The Collapse of Ideas in a Pop Culture

At 10:50 AM 1/23/96 -0800, Simon Spero wrote:
>Bollocks. If you can remember Saturn Vs taking off before reruns, you're
>too old!

Popping up the People's Chronology under Microsoft Bookshelf:

"Exploration and Colonization, 1975

The first U.S.-Soviet space linkup takes place July 18. Astronauts Thomas P.
Stafford, Donald K. Slayton, and Van D. Brand exchange visits 140 miles
above Earth with cosmonauts Aleksei A. Leonov and Valery N. Kubasov whose
Soyuz spacecraft lands safely in the Soviet Union July 21. The Apollo
astronauts splash down in the Pacific 3 days later, ending the Apollo missions."

My wetware informs me that this was the last Saturn V launch (for which NASA
sacrificed a Moon mission.

The last baby boomer was born in 1964 (or so).  So a GenXer would be old
enough to remember a Saturn V launch.  I don't remember when Jules stopped
broadcasting.

DCF

"BTW, the *first* Boomer was not born on January 1 1946.  That event
occurred at some indeterminate point later in the year when the first child
was born to a discharged veteran.  That child would have been conceived in
September 1945.  June 1st 1945 is a better approximation of the beginning of
the Boom."

Thread