1996-01-03 - Re: Guerilla Internet Service Providers

Header Data

From: Simon Spero <ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu>
To: “Mark Grant, M.A. (Oxon)” <mark@unicorn.com>
Message Hash: 8abb82485d11a0d3958111f51a9589defaaa74ff4aa68ad1fa662f29db95c964
Message ID: <Pine.SOL.3.91.960103115011.4602C-100000@chivalry>
Reply To: <Pine.3.89.9601021822.A18697-0100000@unicorn.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-03 22:13:06 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 4 Jan 1996 06:13:06 +0800

Raw message

From: Simon Spero <ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 1996 06:13:06 +0800
To: "Mark Grant, M.A. (Oxon)" <mark@unicorn.com>
Subject: Re: Guerilla Internet Service Providers

On Tue, 2 Jan 1996, Mark Grant, M.A. (Oxon) wrote:

> About ten years ago a group I was involved with were thinking about
> putting something into space as a publicity stunt. One company we talked
> to claimed they could put 1 kg into orbit on one of their sounding rockets
> for about $ 30,000 (that's a 1 kg satellite, not $ 30,000 per kg). How

Hey! I've just had an epiphany. HOToL promised much cheaper costs to put
things in LEO. The initial design was finished and tested, but nobody
would provide the funds for the second round or implementation (probably
because it wasn't French enough :)

Nowdays, anything involving the Internet automatically gets ridiculous
levels of funding. If we can just get John Markoff or Walter Mossberg to
declare HOTol to be an Internet Technology they'll be able to use
banknotes as heat shields.

Simon Spero, BSc. Eng, ACGI

{Ok, this whole thread is noise - I'm up to my eyeballs doing PKCS in
 java, and I canna take no more :)}

Thread