1996-01-29 - Re: Decrypting the “MIG Group”

Header Data

From: Richard Clark <cardo@well.com>
To: “James M. Cobb” <jcobb@ahcbsd1.ovnet.com>
Message Hash: 8fb810af4f5a9a8cba053bf7458801cdee270db4aadcf27b1766727ffa5ecb0a
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9601290915.A5155-0100000@well>
Reply To: <Pine.BSD.3.91.960129031748.3039C-100000@ahcbsd1.ovnet.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-29 18:01:13 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 02:01:13 +0800

Raw message

From: Richard Clark <cardo@well.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 02:01:13 +0800
To: "James M. Cobb" <jcobb@ahcbsd1.ovnet.com>
Subject: Re: Decrypting the "MIG Group"

Jim, thanks very much for that news item.  I will post it on the WELL.

   Richard Clark

On Mon, 29 Jan 1996, James M. Cobb wrote:

>   Friend,
>

>             A 01 29 96 Electronic Telegraph newsstory
>             -----------------------------------------
>
>                Riddle of spooks in the White House
>
>                    BY AMBROSE EVANS-PRITCHARD
>
>                            reports:
>
>      Official logs kept by the US secret service...indicate that
>      a top White House aide, Patsy Thomasson, met a team of secret
>      service technicians at her office on the night of Mr Foster's
>      death.
>

>   Evans-Pritchard writes:
>
>      ...logs kept by Secret Service staff at the White House --pub-
>      lished in Senate documents on the death of Mr Foster-- show that
>      a so-called "MIG Group" was checked into offices occupied by
>      Miss Thomasson and her boss, David Watkins...at 7.10 pm on July
>      20, 1993.
>
>      Miss Thomasson was the only member of the White House staff log-
>      ged into the office at the time.  She checked out at the same
>      time as the "MIG Group" at 7.44 pm....
>

>   E-P inquired about MIG, but--
>
>      The press spokesman for the Secret Service at first said that
>      he had not heard of the acronym "MIG".
>
>      The next day he changed his account, saying that the "MIG Group"
>      was a team of Secret Service technicians that had gone to Miss
>      Thomasson's office that night to conduct a routine alarm check.
>      He said he could not divulge what the acronym MIG stood for be-
>      cause the unit was secret.
>

>   However,
>
>      Intelligence sources have told The Sunday Telegraph that "MIG"
>      stands for "military intelligence group".  MIG groups are typi-
>      cally known as Technical Services Counter-Measure teams (TSCMs),
>      highly classified units that handle high-tech counter-espionage.
>      Their duties, for example, include sweeping for bugs at the
>      White House.
>
>      Sources say that the high-tech counter-espionage staff at the
>      White House are controlled and operated by the Federal Emergency
>      Management Agency, known as FEMA.  This agency...has enormous
>      power and can draw freely on the capabilities of the CIA, the
>      FBI, and the Pentagon.
>

>   E-P concludes:
>
>      ...[The logs] add to the growing weight of evidence that a tiny
>      group at the White House was tipped off early about Foster's
>      death, long before the official notification at 8.30 pm.  It
>      would have provided a window of at least an hour to cover things
>      up before anybody was alerted.
>
>      If so, America is facing a White House scandal that is every bit
>      as serious and nasty as Watergate.
>

>   The Electronic Telegraph can be accessed at:
>
>                     http://www.telegraph.co.uk
>

>   The newsstory is under World News.  Its online filename is wamby-
>   27.html.
>

>   Cordially,
>
>   Jim

Thread