1996-01-29 - Re: “German service cuts Net access” (to Santa Cruz)

Header Data

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr. Dimitri Vulis)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 98838656c73d63c0165aed87784be9fc02b346ce22de67745e8550df877a3678
Message ID: <39TgiD95w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
Reply To: <199601290738.XAA25006@netcom13.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-29 23:24:47 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 07:24:47 +0800

Raw message

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr. Dimitri Vulis)
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 07:24:47 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: "German service cuts Net access" (to Santa Cruz)

mpd@netcom.com (Mike Duvos) writes:

> olmur@dwarf.bb.bawue.de (Olmur) writes:
>
>  > Free speech ends where other people can reasonable claim
>  > that their feelings are badly hurt.
>
> Excuse me?  That line is definitely .sig file fodder.

Olmur, you've hurt my feeleings. Go away. :-)

>  > Is it constitutionally protected in US to knowingly hurt
>  > other people's feelings and to trample on graves?????
>
> Of course it is.  What a silly question.  My feelings get hurt on
> Usenet almost every day and you don't see me whining about it.

Physically trampling on graves may be against some sort of laws.
Inciting others to trample on graves is speech.

>  > Due to our history publishing NAZI-propaganda is forbidden
>  > in Germany. The big majority in Germany agrees with this
>  > view, that NAZI-propaganda doesn't fall under 'free speech'.
>
> Much as the Third Reich took the view that anti-Nazi speech
> wasn't protected.  Your country hasn't changed its authoritarian
> perspective on freedom of personal expression.  All it has done
> is put a different set of publicly supported items on the
> official censorship list.
>
> Didn't the Germans learn anything from World War II?

Evidently not. It would be an honorable thing to help Germans (who may
well be a minotiry) break the laws that we consider to be unjust.

---

Dr. Dimitri Vulis