1996-01-29 - Over-reacting?

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 9c52962233714028a3693be182cab0b27cf32bf67c9c574aec94a7a6b50692ac
Message ID: <m0tgmJU-00091eC@pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 05:17:46 +0800

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 05:17:46 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Over-reacting?

At 05:42 PM 1/28/96 -0800, Timothy C. May wrote:

>Folks,
>
>When people decide to copy other mailing lists on messages they send to
>Cypherpunks (or vice versa), we often get flooded with insults and spams
>from people who don't share our views. (While I have nothing against trying
>to recruit others to our views, in my opinion this is best done by
>judicious writing of essays for _them_, tuned to their interests, and not
>in mindless spamming of every list that might have a passing interest in
>some of the topics.)
>
>We already have enough traffic here, and don't need replies from a bunch of
>other lists, be they libertarian lists, digital commerce lists, human
>rights lists, or java lists.
>
>The latest example of this is the rantfest invvolving these players:

I really don't know why I'm being "killed" by May in this way.  He cites a
rant by a local (Portland, Oregon) crackpot named "Jack Hammer."  I even
took the time to apologize for his existence, while I do claim a certain
lack of responsibility:  Basically, I'm being targeted because Hammer can't
stand my essay.  (Whether May will even see my apology is in doubt, I
suppose...)  While May certainly has the right to "killfile" whomever he
wishes, it might be a bit more logical to do this in a graduated fashion,
"killing" Hammer and then waiting to see if the rest of us follow in his
habits.

Thread