1996-01-05 - Double Messages from Ed Carp

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: ecarp@netcom.com
Message Hash: 9e5221f61a6ce405a24126464c6bf88fbae66c668eaa9c955a0718caa0f74736
Message ID: <ad11c32f0f0210047c61@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 10:09:56 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 10:09:56 +0800
To: ecarp@netcom.com
Subject: Double Messages from Ed Carp

At 12:49 AM 1/5/96, Ed Carp [khijol SysAdmin] wrote:

>> Ed, I've pointed out to you during our mini-flame war that I've been getting
>> 4 copies of your every e-mail: 2 via the cpunks list, 2 directly from your
>> box cc:'d to me. You _know_ that I've been getting 2 copies of cc:'s not
>> passing through toad.com, that the problem is at your end, and not at
>>toad.com,
>> and you should _not_ send test posts to cypherpunks.
>
>The problem is *not* at my end, your ignorance is showing.  If it were,
>then everyone would be getting 2 copies of everything I send, and that's
>simply not true.  Some people are getting two copies, but some are only
>getting one copy.

I have also been getting two copies of most or all of your messages, at
least for the past few weeks (since you became active on the list again, I
think).

I have not been complaining, just deleting the extra copies.

In looking at the detailed headers of a pair of such duplicates I see that
there may have been some kind of "fork" (not a technical term, just a
description) where the two messages (called Blue and Red) differ as
follows:

Blue Message:

SAA19801; Thu, 4 Jan 1996 18:49:29 -0600

Red Message:

SAA19801; Thu, 4 Jan 1996 18:49:29 -0600

Only a one-second difference, but the difference grows in later headers.
The point is that there were already two slightly difference versions of
the message before toad.com was reached.

Other subtle differences exist, too. For example:

Blue Message:

Red Message:

I don't even know what X-UIDL is, but this is a notable difference between
the two versions.

I suggest you carefully examine the full headers and go from there. It
appears that toad.com is only sending two messages because it _received_
two messages.

--Tim May