1996-01-30 - Re: [NOISE] Re: The Big Lie

Header Data

From: mpd@netcom.com (Mike Duvos)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: a1f727b56cb9ccc3ed853e814b41a3df011ea4423f68beb19c65d35c56b1bf35
Message ID: <199601292138.NAA28478@netcom3.netcom.com>
Reply To: <v02140a01ad32440a4bf4@[165.254.158.237]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-30 02:06:49 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 10:06:49 +0800

Raw message

From: mpd@netcom.com (Mike Duvos)
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 10:06:49 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: [NOISE] Re: The Big Lie

"Robert A. Rosenberg" <hal9001@panix.com> writes:

 > Can you name any other country that was a non-participant in
 > a war, was attacked by one side, and was told by the other
 > side that they could neither join that side nor retaliate
 > for the attacks (I'm talking about Operation Desert Storm
 > and the Scuds aimed at Isreal). Any other country would have
 > been allowed to participate or allowed to declare war on the
 > attacker (and send a few missiles over as an incentive to
 > stop attacking a neutral party to the war).

Other Arab states had mutual defense treaties with Iraq which
would have obligated them to enter the war on the side of Iraq
were there a conflict between Iraq and Israel.  This would have
greatly complicated the Persian Gulf War, and put the United
States in a very difficult position.

The sad part is that Israel required any persuasion or guarantees
at all by the United States to refrain from upsetting the
applecart, especially since the US was doing its best to defend
Israel at the time.

 > The US (and the others Participants) were scared shitless of
 > allowing Isreal into the fight since, if let it, the war
 > would have been over real fast and Sadam H. would have been
 > pushing up daisies

And while the Israelis celebrated and danced in the streets, all
prospects for a lasting negotiated Middle East peace would have
been screwed for the next several centuries.

 > (The Isrealis have a habit of being able to take care of
 > themselves with minimal "collateral damage" when their hands
 > are not tied by the actions of other Governments telling
 > them that they are not allowed to do what any other
 > Government is allowed to do as a matter of normal policy
 > when faced with aggression).

The Israelis take very good care of themselves with the weapons,
military intelligence, and billions in US aid they receive each
year.  Occasional requests by the United States that they
exercise appropriate discretion are hardly out of line.

     mpd@netcom.com     $    via Finger.                      $

Thread