1996-01-29 - Re: Denning’s misleading statements

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: a29977aa4d24a18343ec15e2a848d422057f697b9abe36cc738f766b8546a148
Message ID: <199601291015.CAA16990@ix10.ix.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 18:43:40 +0800

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 18:43:40 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Denning's misleading statements

At 03:12 PM 1/28/96 -0500, Ben Samman. wrote:
>There's quite a few folks in the Yale CS department that are pro-Clipper
>or fence sitters.  They justify it in class by claiming that law
>enforcement needs these abilities if LE is to remain effective.

They're quite correct - it's a problem of values and goals,
and theirs differ from mine.  IF law enforcement is to be effective
(at those things it's effective at, like self-preservation and
politician-electing), then it WILL need this increase in power.
Because otherwise we WILL move to crypto-anarchy.  I hope we will
anyway, and perhaps the tackiness of the Clipper forces will
encourage the general public to get there faster rather than slower.

BTW, the reason Swiss banking laws were so strong for so many years
was because the Nazis were pressuring bankers to give out information
on their Jewish customers...
#--
#				Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, stewarts@ix.netcom.com, Pager/Voicemail 1-408-787-1281