1996-01-12 - E-cash and Interest

Header Data

From: “Frank O. Trotter, III” <ftrotter@marktwain.com>
To: Cypherpunks List <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: a4949627669752565fde81a505732186ffd8de32881d55d22b9184f6c8d810c5
Message ID: <199601111911.AA16628@mail.crl.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 12 Jan 1996 16:25:23 +0800

Raw message

From: "Frank O. Trotter, III" <ftrotter@marktwain.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 1996 16:25:23 +0800
To: Cypherpunks List <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: E-cash and Interest

Once the Ecash Mint and the account (in our case the WorldCurrency
Access account - others will be different) are merged, the balance
you hold in the Mint may be able to earn interest.  Like an
individual, the amount of interest offered  will involve a cost benefit
relationship based on cost of funds, regulation,  and operational
costs, but there should be no obvious reason not to pay something
in most curencies.

One note, under US banking regulation, "transaction accounts" fall
under different rules than money market accounts, savings accounts,
and NOW accounts.  Depending on the exact functionality desired,
and future regulation changes, there will be more or less incentive
and/or legal ability to pay interest.

Given the current functionality of Ecash there will be little
incentive to hold balances on your hard drive once interest is
available.  It is just too easy to move the money down when
you need it.  Today there is no specific cost incentive between
the Mint and your hard drive.

It does not take a long leap to see that when the account and the
Mint are merged, that since the Mint _is_ the account, PC/Internet
banking, debit and all other regular banking functionality can
become immediately integrated!

Frank Trotter
ftrotter@marktwain.com
Opinions expressed are my own....