1996-01-30 - Re: Java Sniffer (Was: Re: FV Announces That The Sky Is Falling)

Header Data

From: m5@dev.tivoli.com (Mike McNally)
To: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
Message Hash: a941f524f9078b8260a51be99d94b68f7203798248c9d3ed29598882db3c74bf
Message ID: <9601301358.AA14772@alpha>
Reply To: <199601300412.XAA23037@opine.cs.umass.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-30 15:03:11 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 23:03:11 +0800

Raw message

From: m5@dev.tivoli.com (Mike McNally)
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 23:03:11 +0800
To: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
Subject: Re: Java Sniffer (Was: Re: FV Announces That The Sky Is Falling)

Rich Graves writes:
 > Hmm. Actually, what do Java dialog prompts look like? Is there any
 > indication that they come from Java, or can they be made to look like any
 > dialog from any program, or the OS itself? I suppose this is
 > implementation-dependent.

Yes, it's completely dependent on the AWT implementation.  (Or, of
course, on the implementation of whatever graphical library provided
by the particular Java runtime environment in question.)

The "standard" AWT that's used in the Netscape (and maybe HotJava)
web browsers decorates all windows applets create such that it's
obvious they're there.  It is designed to be impossible for the applet
itself to corrupt the AWT such that the windows don't bear that
decoration.  (Whether the design works as advertised is a question
worth asking, of course.)

Mike M Nally * Tivoli Systems * Austin TX   * I want more, I want more,
       m5@tivoli.com * m101@io.com          * I want more, I want more ...

Thread