1996-01-26 - Re: Crippled Notes export encryption

Header Data

From: iagoldbe@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Ian Goldberg)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: aacee8ca114888200bd7a82db846461402dc2656738aa0d0c246179de3a5bef8
Message ID: <4e6k31$i5l@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
Reply To: <199601242348.PAA03565@ns1.vplus.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-26 10:52:14 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1996 18:52:14 +0800

Raw message

From: iagoldbe@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Ian Goldberg)
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1996 18:52:14 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Crippled Notes export encryption

In article <199601242348.PAA03565@ns1.vplus.com>,
Dan Weinstein <djw@vplus.com> wrote:
>I forget how it is termed in ITAR, but expertise can't be exported
>either.  Another thing to remember is that Jeff and the others at
>Netscape aren't writing the encryption algorithms themselves, they
>implement the code that they get from RSA.  Though most of the
>code they get from RSA is already available abroad, if they wanted to
>import it they would face serious copywrite problems with RSA.  Also,
>like I suggested before any programers who gained their knowledge of
>crypto programing in the U.S. and then went abroad and developed
>crypto software would be in danger of prosecution under ITAR if they
>ever returned to the U.S..

So how about my situation?  I'm a Canadian student, currently studying
in the US.  Are you saying that if, after I get my degree and return to
Canada, it would be illegal for me to write and export crypto stuff?!
What if I'm in Canada for a few weeks between semesters and I write
something then?

   - Ian "this is all really dumb..."

Thread