1996-01-22 - Re: Wipe Swap File

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: baf8bb1e9e1e172a4a487f39397f4c94ef29222b39a7ae95ed8de586d9f109b7
Message ID: <m0teD3N-00090UC@pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 21 Jan 96 19:57:51 PST

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 96 19:57:51 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Wipe Swap File

At 12:56 PM 1/21/96 EST, Dr. Dimitri Vulis wrote:
>tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May) writes:
>> >Degaussing the media (running a household magnet over it :-) may be an
optio

>> Ordinary household magnets fail for a couple of reasons:
>
>I've just established experimentally that thoroughly running a household
magnet
>over a 3.5" floppy messed up less than 1/2 the sectors I tried to read.

Was that with the floppy in the case, or with the case popped open...
Also:  Did you rotate the disk physically to expose the data normally
partially shielded by the door slider?

And was it an ordinary ferrite magnet, or an alnico, or...?

>Not a good option even for floppies.

Ditto!

>(Actually, there _was a smiley up there)

Yes, I noticed. <G>
[stuff deleted]

>Jim Bell mentioned the trick of hiding information into 'extra' tracks and
>sectors not used by the usual DOS formatting. It's very old too.

I will admit that at this point, even calling it a "trick" is giving it
excessive credence.

Actually, I think it wasn't really used initially for "data hiding"
purposes.  I'm talking about the early days of CP/M and other such systems,
circa 1977 and such, when individuals "discovered" that floppy drives had no
hard mechanical stop past the "last" good track, and they "stole" a few
percent of extra capacity from a floppy by simply ignoring the recommended
"last" track.  Naturally, it would work okay on some drives but not on
others... which is why it was a bad idea.

In addition, I also discovered that it was possible to put a few more than
26 sectors on each track of an 8" single-density (240 kilobytes!) floppy
disk.  The main problem with using
these "tricks" is that the floppy had no method of conveying formatting
information to the system it was in, which meant that any floppy using this
trick was by definition non-standard.  ("feature" or "bug" depending on your
goal...)

> I think I saw
>copy protection schemes circa 1982 that hid important data on tracks 41--43.
>360K diskettes normally had 40 tracks. If the diskette was copies by DISKCOPY,
>it didn't know about the extra tracks, and the copy didn't have the info
>(usually, a piece of the program). It's very easy to do with just BIOS
calls to
>format/read/write the track. Problem is, many cheap floppy drives these days
>aren't capable of seeking beyond track 80 when the FDC asks them to. You can
>write the data there and give the floppy to a friend who won't be able to read
>it from there.

I started building my own 12.5 MHz Z-80 -based CP/M system in 1978, fully
designed and wire-wrapped by myself, and wrote my own BIOS.  (Used a WDC
1791 FDC)  Had total
control.  I didn't try this trick even then because of compatibility
reasons, but one thing I _DID_ do was to write a floppy formatter that
"undid" the 6-sector skewing that standard CP/M had to do to keep up with
the data read/write. (in other words, I physically re-skewed the sector
numbering to make the next "desired" sector come faster...) I ended up with an
effective skew-factor of 2.  Even a skew factor of 1 worked on my system (no
skew at all), but the problem was that when I gave the most extreme of these
oddly skewed floppies to my friends with 8" floppies, they took A LONG TIME
to read the data!  (Their systems always missed the next sector because their
systems were too slow, so they only ended up being able to read one sector
per disk rotation.)

All this helps to explain why I asked if PGP had ever been ported to CP/M.
Nostalgia!

Thread