1996-01-12 - Re: Shimomura on TV?

Header Data

From: “Douglas F. Elznic” <delznic@storm.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: bc6bc2b66edeade2a8d251e38079c0d8ccba61b170cd756966db2d3f4e8cab1d
Message ID: <2.2.16.19960112025419.2fd733a2@terminus.storm.net>
Raw Date: Sat, 13 Jan 1996 04:47:33 +0800

Raw message

From: "Douglas F. Elznic" <delznic@storm.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 1996 04:47:33 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Shimomura on TV?

At 07:38 PM 1/11/96 -0500, hallam@w3.org wrote:

>>Has anyone heard anything else about this? I am getting real sick of the
>>media's portrayal of the internet. They never say anything good about it.
>
>At the last World Wide Web consortium meeting I said that the media were
>pumping up the bubble and their favourite game is to see if they can
>destroy what they have the arrogance to imagine they created.
>
>That is why we have to replace the press. Consider this in the next
>election voters on the Internet will be able to read the press releases
>of the candidates without the press filtering them. There is the potential
>for the internet citizens to participate in shaping the political agenda
>- another role the press likes to usurp for itself.
>
>I recently held a workshop on political use of the Web which was attended
>by Republican and Democrat party workers and political activists from
>6 other countries. One thing that suprized me was the consensus amongst the
>politicians that the differences between them were smaller than their
>differences with the press.
>
>To take one example. A collumnist in the New York Times recently received
>much coverage for calling the First Lady "a congenital liar". Yet little
>mention is made of the fact that said collumnist worked for both Nixon and
>Spiro Agnew and has never condemned either for their actions.
>

>	Phill

It is disgusting to me. I would really like to do something about it. I use
to have a sig file(s) that said:

"The revolution will not be televised but the proceeedings will be available
oonline."

During the french revolution someone said "Look their is a revolt" And
another replied "No, a revolution." Or something to that affect. But anyway
I say we as a community do something. Look around the potential is here for
something big e.g. C2.org
--
                 delznic@storm.net