1996-01-26 - Re: “This post is G-Rated”

Header Data

From: frantz@netcom.com (Bill Frantz)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: bd659118e1f2b0951fe54837b94e6645eec042d0fbed1c9a7a4c3fded862bb89
Message ID: <199601252156.NAA28375@netcom6.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1996 09:06:48 +0800

Raw message

From: frantz@netcom.com (Bill Frantz)
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1996 09:06:48 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: "This post is G-Rated"

... Discussion of rating systems elided.

Does anyone have suggestions for achieving the goals of the V-Chip with
many non-govermental rating agencies?  It seems to me that empowering
parents would head off the TV/Internet censors.  Any parent who was
interested in acting as a censor for their children's TV/Internet would be
happy to pay an extra $20 or so for the technical means to achieve that
goal.  The big problem is how are the labels attached to the programs.  I
agree with Tim that it is probably imposible for individual Usenet
postings.  However is should be possible for TV programs, and whole
newsgroups.

BTW - I think that such hardware/software is a wonderful way train hackers.
 Most of the teenagers I know, know more about their home electronics than
their parents do.  And the teenagers RTFM.

Bill

Thread