1996-01-25 - Re: Crippled Notes export encryption

Header Data

From: Ulf_Moeller@public.uni-hamburg.de (Ulf Moeller)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: c53ae2abefd6e33d71d959079a61ad73703b581797738aa67dc381304ee1127b
Message ID: <m0tfCWG-00009WC@ulf.mali.sub.org>
Reply To: <3105FBFC.4DC9@netscape.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-25 05:44:21 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 13:44:21 +0800

Raw message

From: Ulf_Moeller@public.uni-hamburg.de (Ulf Moeller)
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 13:44:21 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Crippled Notes export encryption

>  I can see two practical ways to build a netscape product outside
>the US.  The first is to export the source code for the Navigator
>with the crypto code removed.  All of the calls to crypto would
>have to be removed as well.  I've heard some people claim that the
>government could come after us on the grounds that we were taking
>part in a conspiracy to export strong crypto.

If you properly apply for a license to export the source code
(explainig that the source code licensee might add the features
that he feels are appropriate), is it still a conspiracy?

Thread