1996-01-31 - Re: Crypto-smart-card startup Inside Technologies

Header Data

From: “Cedric Ingrand” <cedric@isicom.fr>
To: Kari Laine <buster@klaine.pp.fi>
Message Hash: c88d558c06ff4d5357772cd12ec8576dc2ed8349fd956751b1b8f47f4f0c0fb3
Message ID: <199601312256.XAA16802@s2.isicom.fr>
Raw Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 07:17:48 +0800

Raw message

From: "Cedric Ingrand" <cedric@isicom.fr>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 07:17:48 +0800
To: Kari Laine <buster@klaine.pp.fi>
Subject: Re: Crypto-smart-card startup Inside Technologies

> >There's an article in the January 29 _EE Times_ about a French
> >cryptographic-smart-card startup called Inside Technologies.
> >Tidbits:
>
> I find it in a way amusing that a country which
> have very weird attitude towards use of crypto
> (it is not allowed to be used) tries to set
> standards and provide new technology. If they
> are that opposing to use of strong encryption
> how on earth they can be providing it to others
> and get those others to believe there is no
> catch in it?

The use of encryption is in no way forbidden in France. It just has
to be approved beforehand, which up to recently amounted to pretty
much the same (-:. But, due to industry pressure, things are changing.
Netscape can now market its secure server in France, as well as the
export-version browser. I haven't heard of anyone having their PGP
approved yet though..

Best, Cedric.

Thread