1996-01-26 - Re: “Gentlemen do not read each other’s mail”

Header Data

From: hallam@w3.org
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: ccadb90c5c8ace6b0d9fd0a325bd506606550034115dfe162496062da7dc5661
Message ID: <9601252108.AA13595@zorch.w3.org>
Reply To: <199601251947.OAA16586@jekyll.piermont.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-26 00:44:30 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1996 08:44:30 +0800

Raw message

From: hallam@w3.org
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1996 08:44:30 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: "Gentlemen do not read each other's mail"

>Why is he our patron saint? He was a government official coming out
>against invasion of privacy. Isn't that what we are all after, in the
>end?

There is a considerable difference between running a government and being an
individual. It is not merely ethical for one government to read another's mail,
it is a duty.

By not taking adequate steps to inform itself of the Japaneese intentions the US
suffered the loss of a substantial part of the US fleet at Pearl Harbour. Had
sufficient resources been avaliable the naval codes could have been cracked in
time.  The closure of the Black chamber was a key reason why US espionage
efforts were inadequate at the start of WWII.

Given the choice between the US Army and the CIA plus NSA I would choose the
latter any day. The millitary hardware is useless without intelligence
operatives. Unless Perry is advocating an absolutist pacifist stance I don't see
that his stance is credible. I don't know many pacifists who oppose intelligence
gathering.

Diplomatic trafic has always been considered fair game. Long may it remain so.

		Phill

Thread