1996-01-15 - Re: Phil Z getting through customs

Header Data

From: “Brad Shantz” <bshantz@nwlink.com>
To: attila <attila@primenet.com>
Message Hash: cda7bde6e0c5d9da4b6285765b23bc5eebeb58c1cffdd0b34509df560471b7f9
Message ID: <199601151632.IAA21061@montana.nwlink.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 15 Jan 96 08:32:04 PST

Raw message

From: "Brad Shantz" <bshantz@nwlink.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 96 08:32:04 PST
To: attila <attila@primenet.com>
Subject: Re: Phil Z getting through customs

 attila <attila@primenet.com> wrote:
>     answer the questions truthfully and they can not detain you???

Not true, I've been detained by Canadian customs for doing just that.
Everything went reasonably smoothly thanks to the customs officials
lack of knowledge of NAFTA.  However, one of my travelling partners
had trouble with customs due to ...hmmm... their lack of knowledge of
NAFTA.

> 	Rule 1:	 smile regardless of the adversity

That's a good rule for things other than customs dealings.

> 	Rule 2:	 other than the three questions on the form, say nothing

I was asked if I had any eggs.  I still don't know why.

> 	Rule 3:  never use LA or Dulles -pick an airport with humans.

Never use the airport in Ottawa, Ontario from out of the country.
Fly to Detroit and get on  a bus.  Drive across the border to Windsor, Ont.
 Then, you can fly to Ottawa and not deal with customs at the airport.

Later,

Brad

Thread