1996-01-21 - Wipe Swap File

Header Data

From: tallpaul@pipeline.com (tallpaul)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d42255c35b72976c81761a19601353edc247c8a943298671744f43a5e559289b
Message ID: <199601201421.JAA01170@pipe10.nyc.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 21 Jan 1996 15:38:15 +0800

Raw message

From: tallpaul@pipeline.com (tallpaul)
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 1996 15:38:15 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Wipe Swap File

On Jan 19, 1996 23:59:46, 'anonymous-remailer@shell.portal.com' wrote:

>I know this is a little off-topic, but does anyone know of a good swap
file
>deleter?  I know Real Delete is a good program, but I want something I can
call
>in a batch file after windows to automatically do a secure wipe of the
>permanent swap file and then replace it.  I have heard of a couple
programs but
>I am not sure about their reliability.  Any pointers to a good program
would be
>appreciated.

One way:

1) Go to DOS prompt;
2) Change mode of the permanent swap file to make it writable;
3) Run WIPEFILE by Norton, or any other similar program, without setting up
the file for deletion after wiping;
4) Change mode of the permanent swap file back to the original attributes;
5) Leave DOS prompt.

Another way:

1) Remove permanent character of swap file from within Windows;
2) Go to DOS prompt.
3) Erase the swap file.
4) Run Norton etc. WIPEDISK utility on all areas of disk not used by files;

5) Return to WIndows;
6) Rebuild permanent swap file.

Remember that one simple wipe is *not* secure. Current Department of
Defense security regs call for wiping the same space something like 8 or 9
times. Even then the wipe is not secure enough for higher level DofD
classified material. There the regs call for the physical destruction of
the medium after it has been wiped.

Norton handles DoD-level wipes as an option.

--
     tallpaul
     What part of "know" don't you understand?

Thread