1996-01-27 - Re: Crippled Notes export encryption

Header Data

From: Eric Blossom <eb@comsec.com>
To: tcmay@got.net
Message Hash: d9dcc755570704a71c067fd6f85ecc62745bd7df80ddad3fc4402ef7d792caf5
Message ID: <199601262323.PAA11322@comsec.com>
Reply To: <ad2c8470070210049c6c@[205.199.118.202]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-27 01:27:46 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 09:27:46 +0800

Raw message

From: Eric Blossom <eb@comsec.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 09:27:46 +0800
To: tcmay@got.net
Subject: Re: Crippled Notes export encryption

Tim May says:
> I have several pieces of evidence which suggest to me that the government
> is leaning on companies in ways which are not always apparent. (I can't
> share all of the evidence I have...I know this is unsatisfying. I'm not
> asking you to "trust me," just noting that this is what I have either heard
> from usually reliable sources or from direct participants.)

I just got back from the AFCEA show.  Lotus was there demonstrating
Lotus Notes V4 DMS (Defense Messaging System).  They've hacked it to
be DMS complaint (I think that that means mostly that they support
X.400 addressing, X.500 directory services and use a Fortezza card to
encrypt and sign)...

There are a lots of folks involved in the DMS game.  Loral is the prime
contractor.  ESL, Lotus and Microsoft are providing UA's (front ends).

Eric

Thread