1996-01-05 - Re: Windows Eudora and PGP

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: db23d1909d74d8b023d026ae551123e954201a9506fc1ce7d4bde38f49a1e4ea
Message ID: <199601050721.XAA01227@ix6.ix.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 6 Jan 1996 01:03:10 +0800

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 1996 01:03:10 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Windows Eudora and PGP

>>>1)  Use cut-and-paste into Private Idaho.  Private Idaho will allow you to
>>>paste back into Eudora.  (Or you can send out from Private Idaho directly.)
>>>This option is useful becuase it supports nyms and chaining of remailers.
>>[sigh]  Just what I thought, no easy solutions.

Private Idaho's pretty easy - if you're replying to a message,
you'll need to do a cut&paste to move the original into PI,
but it follows all the standard Windows cut&paste clipboard stuff,
and after that you can send the message directly (from newer
versions of PI) or pick a menu item that hands it back to
your mailer (Eudora or several others are supported) for delivery.
Inside PI, you can pick menu items to call PGP, add remailer headers, etc.

At 07:46 PM 1/3/96 -0500, "Douglas F. Elznic" <delznic@storm.net> wrote:
> I have also heard that ViaCrypt is a good alternative. But I am not sure.
>Has anyone else out there heard anything good/bad about ViaCrypt?

I've got the ViaCrypt Windows package, as well as their DOS versions.
It's really nice for key management (which Private Idaho doesn't do
much of), though some of the other PGP Windows frontends also do that.
Its encryption/decryption/signing functions are mainly oriented towards files
rather than Clipboards - the big advantage of this is that there aren't any
silly 64KB or 640KB limits anywhere, but it's a bit clumsier.
I usually use Private Idaho as a front-end to ViaCrypt as well;
it's faster and prettier to have ViaCrypt handling the Windows interfaces
than to have PI pop up a DOS window to run Real PGP in.

The PGP 3.0 stuff, when it comes out, will help the process a lot.
#--
#				Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, stewarts@ix.netcom.com, Pager/Voicemail 1-408-787-1281
#
# "The price of liberty is eternal vigilance" used to mean us watching
# the government, not the other way around....

Thread