1996-01-22 - Re: Netscape + Verifone

Header Data

From: Howard Melman <melman@osf.org>
To: perry@piermont.com
Message Hash: dc70157bae35c6d1eca0f9c47405b9a69b187e787129ade7fb64c716ab0938a3
Message ID: <9601221954.AA11984@absolut.osf.org.osf.org>
Reply To: <199601221912.OAA07923@jekyll.piermont.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-22 19:55:40 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 22 Jan 96 11:55:40 PST

Raw message

From: Howard Melman <melman@osf.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 96 11:55:40 PST
To: perry@piermont.com
Subject: Re: Netscape + Verifone

On Mon Jan 22, 1996, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

>    REDWOOD CITY, CA - Netscape Communications Corp. and Verifone
>    Inc. will devise a system to make electronic payments on the internet
>    more secure.
>
> Anyone know anything about this?

Reported in today's Wall Street Journal

  http://update.wsj.com/update/edit/w-netsca.html

Basically Verifone's credit card processing technology
(credit card verification) will be bundled with Netscape's
Commerce server.

Netscape also announced that the software will use new
encryption technology being developed by MasterCard and
Visa.  I don't know what this quote means:

  That technology would break sensitive information like
  credit-card data into 1,024 bits of information, instead
  of the 128 bits used currently, theoretically making it
  much more difficult to steal.

Howard

Thread