1996-01-10 - When they came for the Jews…

Header Data

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e2ba8cc14b9ec2bbf3af106288d70ceb0876c7bbe9641d95fe9d2fc73b608183
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960110153325.006b5980@panix.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 10 Jan 1996 23:53:08 +0800

Raw message

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 1996 23:53:08 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: When they came for the Jews...

*********
Citing ``the rapidly expanding presence of organized hate groups on the
Internet,'' a leading Jewish human rights group [the Simon Wiesenthal
Center] on Tuesday began sending letters to hundreds of Internet access
providers and universities asking them to refuse to carry messages that
``promote racism, anti-Semitism, mayhem and violence.''

But Cooper said the ``unprecedented potential and scope of the Internet''
gives people ``incredible power to promote violence, threaten women,
denigrate minorities, promote homophobia and conspire against democracy.''

He cited the posting of instructions for making explosive devices, including
recipes for Sarin nerve gas and bombs similar to the one that destroyed the
Federal Building in Oklahoma City last April 19.
***********

In reading the above from today's NYT, I was interested to see the expansion
of the protected classes who are not to have unkind things said about them
on the Nets.   Aside from the usual list of suspects, I noted that
*democrats* were also to be protected.  I thought that "conspiring against
democracy" (something I do daily) was classic political speech and and
activity that even the drafters of the American Constitution practiced from
time to time.  I guess I'm going to have to watch my attacks on democracy if
I don't want to get my Net access cut off.

DCF

"I favor discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color sex, age,
alienage, previous condition of servitude, recent interstate travel,
handicap, sexual or affectional preference, marital status, Vietnam-era
veteran status (or lack thereof), occupation, economic status, and anything
else I can think of."

Thread