1996-01-24 - Re: Crippled Notes export encryption

Header Data

From: Andrew Loewenstern <andrew_loewenstern@il.us.swissbank.com>
To: Jeff Weinstein <jsw@netscape.com>
Message Hash: e3c26bbf945563a4c553ff7beafffb424f8ba73be069389775885ba4458b6922
Message ID: <9601241906.AA00705@ch1d157nwk>
Raw Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 04:56:21 +0800

Raw message

From: Andrew Loewenstern <andrew_loewenstern@il.us.swissbank.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 04:56:21 +0800
To: Jeff Weinstein <jsw@netscape.com>
Subject: Re: Crippled Notes export encryption

>    I can see two practical ways to build a netscape product outside
>  the US.  The first is to export the source code for the Navigator
>  with the crypto code removed.  All of the calls to crypto would
>  have to be removed as well.  I've heard some people claim that the
>  government could come after us on the grounds that we were taking
>  part in a conspiracy to export strong crypto.

Why not just print out all of the source code to Navigator (crypto and all)
in a nice OCR font?  Paper is exportable.  Then you would 'only' have to scan
it back in and debug it.

andrew

Thread