1996-01-27 - Re: Denning’s Crypto Archy [LONG]

Header Data

From: Adam Shostack <adam@lighthouse.homeport.org>
To: frissell@panix.com (Duncan Frissell)
Message Hash: e5aa3a6c25c2683cb524755416c514749de44375fab4db5854605b5f7ba55ed0
Message ID: <199601270136.UAA12571@homeport.org>
Reply To: <2.2.32.19960126214239.006ca3fc@panix.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-27 02:24:28 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 10:24:28 +0800

Raw message

From: Adam Shostack <adam@lighthouse.homeport.org>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 10:24:28 +0800
To: frissell@panix.com (Duncan Frissell)
Subject: Re: Denning's Crypto Archy [LONG]

Interesting reply, Duncan.  Since you've addressed many of the points,
I'll just add a few short points.

Duncan Frissell wrote:

|                          The Future of Cryptography
|
|                              Dorothy E. Denning
|                             Georgetown University
|
|                             Revised January 6, 1996

| A growing number of people are attracted to the market liberalism envisioned
| by Jefferson, Hayek, and many others, but not to anarchy. Thus, the crypto
| anarchists' claims come close to asserting that the technology will take us
| to an outcome that most of us would not choose.
|
| [Still up for negotiation is how liberal a market we will want.  The growing
| power of markets and (traditional) liberal ideas is the result of the

	The term "crypto anarchy" is a label for a new, and still
evolving school of thought.  To take it to soley encompass anarchy as
a result would be as false as assuming that Utilitarians only take
utility in its restired sense, and not pleasure into thier
calculations.  Mill, in the first paragraph of chapter II of
'Utilitarianism' discusses the idea, that an idea, through its
simple label, is dismissed.

| This is the claim that I want to address here. I do not accept crypto
| anarchy as the inevitable outcome. A new paradigm of cryptography, key
| escrow, is emerging and gaining acceptance in industry.

	I would argue that it lacks industry acceptance, and the only
acceptance is that of the lesser of evils, not a warm embrace.

	Futher, the idea that unfettered cryptography will lead to the
end of the nation state, while embraced by both Denning and Frissel,
is not obvious.  There are many aspects of police work which will be
continued, and continue to address many of the crimes that worry Dr.
Denning.  Undercover cops can partake in a grey or black market more
easily when the tools of anonymity are available to all.  If the
market is for physical items, those items must be delivered.

Adam

					               -Hume

Thread