1996-01-19 - Re: CryptoAPI and export question

Header Data

From: “James A. Donald” <jamesd@echeque.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e78bc3d0b827fee031689f3c62ec107d8d7631193ccd08459d0558c02cc91d16
Message ID: <199601190811.IAA01481@mailx.best.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 19 Jan 96 00:21:43 PST

Raw message

From: "James A. Donald" <jamesd@echeque.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 96 00:21:43 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: CryptoAPI and export question

At 07:36 PM 1/17/96 -0800, Lucky Green wrote:

>So the main thing that the new MS CSP accomplishes is to establish a
>standard that will prevent foreigners at the OS level from using real
>crypto with popular applications. Way to go Microsoft.

It seems to me that Microsofts plan is carefully and ingeniously
designed to fail:  They will do their best to restrain the export
of real crypto, but alas, in the end, they will regretfully admit
that they failed.  Some evil person will have illegally exported
real crypto after they signed it. Too bad.  How sad.

and our property, because of the kind	|
derives from this right, not from the	|
arbitrary power of the state.		|   jamesd@echeque.com

Thread