1996-01-15 - Where to get PGP (short version of FAQ)

Header Data

From: Michael Paul Johnson <mpj@netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: eab98a4638532f11a778ba6426e4212c4cd5ea57662263092ee319713bec5986
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.960115134823.2645B-100000@netcom6>
Raw Date: Mon, 15 Jan 96 13:50:17 PST

Raw message

From: Michael Paul Johnson <mpj@netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 96 13:50:17 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Where to get PGP (short version of FAQ)

WHERE TO GET PGP FAQ (SHORT VERSION)

Revised 15 January 1996

For questions not covered here, please see alt.security.pgp FAQs at
rtfm.mit.edu.  For the long version of this FAQ, get
ftp://ftp.csn.net/mpj/getpgp.asc or send mail to mpjohnso@nyx.cs.du.edu or
point your web browser at http://www.csn.net/~mpj.

 WHAT IS THE LATEST VERSION OF PGP?

 Platform(s)       Latest Version        Distribution File Names
|                |                     |                                 |
|DOS, Unix,      | Viacrypt PGP 2.7.1  | disk sets                       |
|Mac, Windows,   |                     |                                 |
|or WinCIM/CSNav |                     |                                 |
|________________|_____________________|_________________________________|
|                |                     |                                 |
|Hardware-based  | Viacrypt 2.7.1      | disk sets                       |
|PGP/Token       |                     |                                 |
|________________|_____________________|_________________________________|
|                |                     |                                 |
|DOS, Unix, VAX, | MIT PGP 2.6.2       | pgp262.zip  (DOS + docs)        |
|others          |                     | pgp262s.zip (source)            |
|                |                     | pg262s.zip source on CompuServe |
|                |                     | pgp262s.tar.gz (source)         |
|                |                     | pgp262s.tar.Z (source)          |
|                |                     | pgp262dc.zip (documentation)    |
|                |                     | pg262d.zip (docs on CompuServe) |
|________________|_____________________|_________________________________|
|                |                     |                                 |
|Macintosh       | MIT PGP 2.6.2       | MacPGP2.6.2-130v1.hqx           |
|                | Mac version 1.3.0   | m262pgp.hqx (same as above)     |
|                |                     | MacPGP2.6.2-130v1.source.asc    |
|                |                     | m262pgps.asc (same as above)    |
|                | PGPfone 1.0 beta 5  |                                 |
|________________|_____________________|_________________________________|
|                |                     |                                 |
|Power Mac       | Zbigniew's "beta"   | Fatmacpgp262b131.sea.hqx        |
|                |                     | f262pgp.hqx (same as above)     |
|                |                     | Fatmacpgp262b131.src.hqx        |
|                |                     | f262pgps.hqx (same as above)    |
|________________|_____________________|_________________________________|
|                |                     |                                 |
|Amiga           | PGP 2.6.2 Amiga 1.4 | pgp262-a14-000.lha              |
|                |                     | pgp262-a14-020.lha              |
|                |                     | pgp262-a14-src.lha              |
|                |                     | PGPAmi262is.lha (international) |
|________________|_____________________|_________________________________|
|                |                     |                                 |
|Atari           | Atari MIT PGP 2.6.2 | pgp262st.zip                    |
|                | Atari International | pgp262ib.zip                    |
|________________|_____________________|_________________________________|
|                |                     |                                 |
|OS/2            | MIT PGP 2.6.2       | pgp262-os2.zip                  |
|                |                     | on ftp.gibbon.com               |
|________________|_____________________|_________________________________|
|                |                     |                                 |
|Non-USA version | PGP 2.6.2i from     | pgp262i.zip  (DOS executable)   |
|to avoid RSAREF | Stale Schumacher,   | pgp262ix.zip (32-bit DOS)       |
|license.        | Kai Uwe Rommel,     | pgp262i-os2.zip (OS/2 exe)      |
|                | Harald Denker, and  | pgp262ib.zip (Atari)            |
|                | Peter Simons        | PGPAmi262is.lha (Amiga)         |
|                |                     | pgp262is.zip (source)           |
|                |                     | pgp262is.tar.gz (Unix source)   |
|                |                     |                                 |
|                | Canadian "mutant"   | MacPGP262ca124.exe.sea.hqx      |
|                | not for USA use     | MacPGP262ca124.src.sea.hqx      |
|________________|_____________________|_________________________________|
|                |                     |                                 |
|Unofficial      | PGP 2.6.2ui         | pgp262iu.zip                    |
|non-USA version | Not for use in the  |                                 |
|fully under Gnu | USA because of      |                                 |
|public license  | probable patent     |                                 |
|(based on 2.3a  | infringement        |                                 |
|code)           | problems.           |                                 |
|________________|_____________________|_________________________________|

WHERE CAN I GET VIACRYPT PGP?

Just call 800-536-2664 and read them your credit card number and your
address.

WHERE IS PGP ON THE WORLD WIDE WEB?

 * http://web.mit.edu/network/pgp-form.html (U. S. PGP primary distribution
   site)

 * http://web.mit.edu/network/pgpfone (PGP Fone primary distribution site)

 * http://www.ifi.uio.no/~staalesc/PGP/home.html (International PGP
   primary distribution site)

 * http://www.epic.org/privacy/tools.html

 * http://www.csua.berkeley.edu/cypherpunks/home.html

 * http://www.leo.org/archive/os2/crypt/

WHERE CAN I FTP PGP IN NORTH AMERICA?

If you are in the USA or Canada, you can get PGP by following the
instructions in any of:

 * ftp://net-dist.mit.edu/pub/PGP/README

 * ftp://ftp.csn.net/mpj/README.MPJ

 * ftp://miyako.dorm.duke.edu/pub/GETTING_ACCESS

 * ftp://ftp.csua.berkeley.edu/pub/cypherpunks/pgp/

 * ftp://ftp.gibbon.com/pub/pgp/README.PGP

 * ftp://ftp.wimsey.bc.ca/pub/crypto/software/README

WHERE IS PGP ON COMPUSERVE?

GO NCSAFORUM. Follow the instructions there to gain access to Library 12:
Export Controlled.

AOL

It is possible to get PGP from ftp sites with hidden directories
with the following trick:  (1) View the README file with the hidden
directory name in it, then quickly (2) Start a new ftp connection,
specifiying the hidden directory name with the ftp site's address, like
ftp.csn.net/mpj/I_will_not_export/crypto_xxxxxxx (where the xxxxxxx is
replaced with the current character string).

WHAT BULLETIN BOARD SYSTEMS CARRY PGP?

MANY BBS carry PGP. The following carry recent versions of PGP and allow free
downloads of PGP.

   303-772-1062 Colorado Catacombs BBS, Longmont CO

   317-887-9568 Computer Virus Research Center (CVRC) BBS, Indianapolis, IN
   Login First Name: PGP  Last Name: USER   Password: PGP

   914-667-4567 Exec-Net, New York, NY

   915-587-7888, Self-Governor Information Resource, El Paso, Texas

WHERE CAN I FTP PGP CLOSE TO ME?

 * DE

ftp://ftp.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/pub/virus/crypt/pgp
ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/aminet/util/crypt
ftp://ftp.westfalen.de/pd/Atari/Pgp(Atari)

 * ES

ftp://encomix.es/pub/pgp/pgp262i/pgp262i.zip

 * IT

ftp://ftp.dsi.unimi.it/pub/security/crypt/PGP

 * FI

ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/crypt

 * NL

ftp://ftp.nl.net/pub/crypto/pgp
ftp.nic.surfnet.nl/surfnet/net-security/encryption/pgp

 * SE

ftp://leif.thep.lu.se

 * UK

ftp://ftp.demon.co.uk/pub/amiga/pgp
ftp://ftp.ox.ac.uk/pub/crypto/pgp

HOW CAN I GET PGP BY EMAIL?

If you have access to email, but not to ftp, send a message saying
"help" to
ftpmail@decwrl.dec.com, mailserv@nic.funet.fi,
or  ftp-request@netcom.com

 To get pgp 2.6.2i by email:
  Send a message to
pgp@hypnotech.com with your request in the
  Subject: field.

Subject What you will get GET pgp262i.zip MS-DOS executable
(uuencoded) GET pgp262is.zip MS-DOS source code (uuencoded) GET
pgp262is.tar.gz UNIX source code (uuencoded)

For FAQ
information, send e-mail to mail-server@rtfm.mit.edu
with
    send usenet/news.answers/ftp-list/faq
in the body of the message.

WHAT ARE SOME GOOD PGP BOOKS?
      Protect Your Privacy: A Guide for PGP Users
      by William Stallings
      Prentice Hall PTR
      ISBN 0-13-185596-4
      US $19.95

      PGP: Pretty Good Privacy
      by Simson Garfinkel
      O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
      ISBN 1-56592-098-8
      US $24.95

      E-Mail Security: How to Keep Your Electronic Mail Private
      "Covers PGP/PEM"
      by Bruce Schneier
      Wiley Publishing

      The Computer Privacy Handbook: A Practical Guide to E-Mail Encryption,
      Data Protection, and PGP Privacy Software
      by Andre Bacard
      Peachpit Press
      ISBN 1-56609-171-3
      US $24.95
      800-283-9444 or 510-548-4393

      THE OFFICIAL PGP USER'S GUIDE
      by Philip R. Zimmerman
      MIT Press
      April 1995 - 216 pp. - paper - US $14.95 - ISBN 0-262-74017-6 ZIMPP

      PGP SOURCE CODE AND INTERNALS
      by Philip R. Zimmerman
      April 1995 - 804 pp. -
      US $55.00 - 0-262-24039-4 ZIMPH

      Ordering information for the last two books:
      Call US Toll Free 1-800-356-0343 or 617-625-8569.
      Cite code 5CSC and number 661.
      Allow 4-6 weeks for delivery within North America.
      Allow 8-12 weeks for delivery outside of North America.

      How to Use PGP, 61 pages,  (Pub #121) from the Superior
      Broadcasting Company,
      Box 1533-N, Oil City, PA 16301, phone: (814) 678-8801 (about US
      $10-$13).

WHERE CAN I GET PGP LANGUAGE MODULES?

http://www.ifi.uio.no/~staalesc/PGP/language.html
ftp://ftp.ifi.uio.no/pub/pgp/doc/

IS PGP LEGAL?

Yes.  See ftp://ftp.csn.net/mpj/getpgp.asc for some of the issues.

WHAT IS PHILIP ZIMMERMANN'S LEGAL STATUS?

Philip Zimmermann was under investigation for alleged violation of export
regulations, with a grand jury hearing evidence for about 28 months, ending
11 January 1996. The Federal Government chose not to comment on why it
decided to not prosecute, nor is it likely to.  The Commerce Secretary stated
that he would seek relaxed export controls for cryptographic products, since
studies show that U. S. industry is being harmed by current regulations.
Philip endured some serious threats to his livelihood and freedom, as well as
some very real legal expenses, for the sake of your right to electronic
privacy.

Although there was no direct and open legal battle, there was a lot of behind
the scenes work by Phil's legal team, headed by Philip L. Dubois
(dubois@dubois.com). GREAT JOB!  If you ever are in the situation of needing
a good lawyer to help you with similar Federal harassment, consider yourself
fortunate if Mr. Dubois will take your case.

Philip Zimmermann is breathing more easily these days, still a free man and
able to work to support his family.  The battle is won, but the war is not
over. The regulations that caused him so much grief and which continue to
dampen cryptographic development, harm U. S. industry, and do violence to the
U. S. National Security by eroding the First Ammendment of the U. S.
Constitution and encouraging migration of cryptographic industry outside of
the U. S. A. are still on the books.  If you are a U. S. Citizen, please
write to your U. S. Senators, Congressional Representative, President, and
Vice President pleading for a more sane and fair cryptographic policy.

WHERE CAN I GET WINDOWS & DOS SHELLS FOR PGP?

http://www.ifi.uio.no/~staalesc/AutoPGP.html
http://www.dayton.net/~cwgeib
ftp://oak.oakland.edu/SimTel/msdos/security/apgp22b.zip
ftp://oak.oakland.edu/SimTel/win3/security/pgpw40.zip
http://alpha.netaccess.on.ca/~spowell/crypto/pwf31.zip
ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/dc/dcosenza/pgpw40.zip
ftp://Sable.ox.ac.uk/pub
http://www.firstnet.net/~cwgeib/welcom.html
ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/ec/ecarp/pgpwind.zip
http://www.eskimo.com/~joelm(Private Idaho)
ftp://ftp.eskimo.com/~joelm
http://www.xs4all.nl/~paulwag/security.htm
http://www.LCS.com/winpgp.html
ftp://mirrors.aol.com/mir01/circa/pub/pc/win3/util/pwf31.zip
ftp://ftp.leo.org/pub/comp/os/os2/crypt/gcppgp10.zip
ftp://ftp.leo.org/pub/comp/os/os2/crypt/pmpgp.zip

WHERE DO I GET PGPfone(tm)?

PGPfone is in beta test for Macintosh users. A Windows 95 version is
being developed.

http://web.mit.edu/network/pgpfone
ftp://net-dist.mit.edu/pub/PGPfone/README
ftp.hacktic.nl/pub/pgp/pgpfone

WHERE DO I GET NAUTILUS?

Bill Dorsey, Pat Mullarky, and Paul Rubin have come out with a program called
Nautilus that enables you to engage in secure voice conversations between
people with multimedia PCs and modems capable of at least 7200 bps (but 14.4
kbps is better). See

ftp://ripem.msu.edu/pub/crypt/GETTING_ACCESS
ftp://ripem.msu.edu/pub/crypt/other/nautilus-phone-0.9.2-source.tar.gz
ftp://ftp.csn.net/mpj/README
ftp://ftp.csn.net/mpj/I_will_not_export/crypto_???????/voice/naut092.zip
ftp://miyako.dorm.duke.edu/pub/GETTING_ACCESS
ftp://miyako.dorm.duke.edu/mpj/crypto/voice/naut092.zip
ftp://ftp.dsi.unimi.it/pub/security/crypt/cypherpunks/nautilus
ftp://ftp.ox.ac.uk/pub/crypto/misc

The Colorado Catacombs BBS 303-772-1062

HOW DO I ENCRYPT MY DISK ON-THE-FLY?

Rather than manually encrypting and decrypting files, it is sometimes easier
(and therefore more secure, because you are more likely to use it) to use a
utility that encrypts or decrypts files on the fly as you use them in your
favorite applications. This also allows you to automatically encrypt
temporary files generated by your applications if they are on the encrypted
volume.

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut01/sfs.html
ftp://ftp.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/pub/virus/crypt/disk/
ftp://ftp.csn.net/mpj/I_will_not_export/crypto_???????/disk/
ftp://ftp.csn.net/mpj/README for the ???????)
ftp://miyako.dorm.duke.edu/mpj/crypto/disk/
ftp://ftp.nic.surfnet.nl/surfnet/net-security/encryption/disk/
ftp://ftp.demon.co.uk/pub/ibmpc/secdev/secdev14.arj

HOW DO I PUBLISH MY PGP PUBLIC KEY?

Send mail to one of these addresses with the single word "help" in the
subject line to find out how to use them. These servers sychronize keys with
each other.

pgp-public-keys@keys.pgp.net
pgp-public-keys@keys.de.pgp.net
pgp-public-keys@keys.no.pgp.net
pgp-public-keys@keys.uk.pgp.net
pgp-public-keys@keys.us.pgp.net
pgp-public-keys@fbihh.informatik.uni-hamburg.de
pgp-public-keys@kiae.su
pgp-public-keys@pgp.ai.mit.edu
pgp-public-keys@pgp.iastate.edu
pgp-public-keys@pgp.mit.edu
pgp-public-keys@pgp.ox.ac.uk
pgp-public-keys@sw.oz.au

WWW interface to the key servers:
http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~bal/pks-toplev.html

For US $20/year or so, you can have your key officially
certified and published in a "clean" key database that is much less
susceptible to denial-of-service attacks than the other key servers.
Send mail to info-pgp@Four11.com
for information, or look at http://www.Four11.com/

CAN I COPY AND REDISTRIBUTE THIS FAQ?

Yes. Permission is granted to distribute unmodified copies of this FAQ.

Please e-mail comments to mpj@netcom.com

Thread