1996-01-31 - RE: FV Demonstrates Fatal Flaw in Software Encryption of Credi tCards

Header Data

From: David Van Wie <dvw@hamachi.epr.com>
To: cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: f77f03a79a4252c636ca4e0d9215827160fcee69592b810516e3c413a2959918
Message ID: <310E7DAE@hamachi>
Raw Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 08:17:13 +0800

Raw message

From: David Van Wie <dvw@hamachi.epr.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 08:17:13 +0800
To: cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: RE: FV Demonstrates Fatal Flaw in Software Encryption of Credi  tCards

On January 30, 1996 nsb[SMTP:nsb@nsb.fv.com] wrote:

>> Of course, since Federal law requires the credit card companies, not
the
>> user, to pay the costs of fraud, First Virtual's entire premise is a
red
>> herring.
>
>Actually, you're wrong here too.  It is the banks, not the credit card
>companies, that carry the risk.

Changing the subject doesn't change the point.  Your announcement implies
that users are liable, and that is incorrect.  This is misleading, and in
my view, reprehensible.  This was the point of my post.  The fact that
the fraud is traceable when detected should have been self evident.

If your post has said "Financial Industry Should Watch out for Keyboard
Sniffers" as a *potential* threat for which the risks should be weighed,
that would have been different.  Arguably farfetched, but different.
 Your post relies on people's ignorance of their rights with respect to
credit card liability, and therefore is shameful.

dvw

Thread