1996-01-23 - Re: NSA vacuuming down Internet traffic

Header Data

From: Rick Smith <smith@sctc.com>
To: jimbell@pacifier.com (jim bell)
Message Hash: f9fdcaebe88a8b12438668f32679939c1a3bb394a274d1389c9bf3cef527ee80
Message ID: <199601232008.OAA05861@shade.sctc.com>
Reply To: <m0teWZ3-0008zMC@pacifier.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-23 21:27:58 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 05:27:58 +0800

Raw message

From: Rick Smith <smith@sctc.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 05:27:58 +0800
To: jimbell@pacifier.com (jim bell)
Subject: Re: NSA vacuuming down Internet traffic

>>...listening for Kissinger..

> Don't tell me, let me guess:  20 years ago, if you had told anyone about
> this project, you would have had to kill them.  Now, 20 years later, after a
> few levels of re-classifications and de-classifications, all you have to do
> is to sneer in our general direction.  <G>

Not. It wasn't a classified project. It was upstairs from Woolworth's
in Central Square, ferheavens sake. SCIFs would have annoyed the
landlord, and presented interesting "challenges" given the pasteboard
construction. We didn't even have any of those clunky file cabinets
for Keeping Secrets Safe.  We just amused ourselves with such
speculation, since this was clearly a technology that excited interest
in certain quarters.

Rick.

Thread