1996-01-12 - Re: Zimmermann case is dropped.

Header Data

From: “Declan B. McCullagh” <declan+@CMU.EDU>
To: jya@pipeline.com>
Message Hash: fbddea858e94ae3361e9a2edf3d90fa2796b21379118db1dd21f5721cba9a11d
Message ID: <UkxblKu00YUqI561@andrew.cmu.edu>
Reply To: <199601121406.JAA26445@pipe4.nyc.pipeline.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-12 16:32:31 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 13 Jan 1996 00:32:31 +0800

Raw message

From: "Declan B. McCullagh" <declan+@CMU.EDU>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 1996 00:32:31 +0800
To: jya@pipeline.com>
Subject: Re: Zimmermann case is dropped.

Excerpts from internet.cypherpunks: 12-Jan-96 Re: Zimmermann case is
drop.. by John Young@pipeline.com
>    AUSA William Keane in today's WSJ:
>
>       "This decision shouldn't be interpreted as meaning
>       anything. I caution people against concluding the
>       Internet is now free for export."

And in today's Washington Post, in an article by Elizabeth Corcoran:

   William P. Keane, assistant U.S. attorney in San Jose, declined to
   explain why the government closed its investigation of Zimmermann,
   citing the Justice Department's policy of not commenting on reasons
   for dropping a case.

   There is "no change in law, no change in [encryption] policy," he
   said. "If you're planning on making encryption available over the
   Internet . . . or other means, better check with the State Department
   first."

-Declan

Thread