1996-01-22 - Re: (none)

Header Data

From: Simon Spero <ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu>
To: “Roy M. Silvernail” <roy@sendai.cybrspc.mn.org>
Message Hash: fc0a5ed33ac73397c522b718353364283f197fcfe6597c7a3e21819c341015c8
Message ID: <Pine.SOL.3.91.960122103704.6658B-100000@chivalry>
Reply To: <960122.061235.3y2.rnr.w165w@sendai.cybrspc.mn.org>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-22 18:36:02 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 22 Jan 96 10:36:02 PST

Raw message

From: Simon Spero <ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 96 10:36:02 PST
To: "Roy M. Silvernail" <roy@sendai.cybrspc.mn.org>
Subject: Re: (none)

On Mon, 22 Jan 1996, Roy M. Silvernail wrote:

> > Note that RSA normally is used as probabilistic encryption: encrypt the
> > same plaintext twice, and you'll likely get two different ciphertexts.
>
> I think you're confusing PGP's use of random session keys and random
> padding with actual RSA encryption.  Using RSA alone on a given
> plaintext will always give you the same ciphertext.

RSA used in a raw mode will always give the same plaintext for the same
cyphertext; however most uses of RSA use (or at least should use) PKCS1
random padding - thus the plaintext passed to RSA will be different each
time.

Simon

Thread