1996-01-08 - Re: phone calls from hell

Header Data

From: Alan Horowitz <alanh@infi.net>
To: Brad Dolan <bdolan@use.usit.net>
Message Hash: fe27502d2fb8e2595101780ebd81add69e43fb27d0a5c22cc97fa9c1a868b15c
Message ID: <Pine.SV4.3.91.960108171909.4373B-100000@larry.infi.net>
Reply To: <Pine.SOL.3.91.960107130431.12839B-100000@use.usit.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-08 22:52:01 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 9 Jan 1996 06:52:01 +0800

Raw message

From: Alan Horowitz <alanh@infi.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 1996 06:52:01 +0800
To: Brad Dolan <bdolan@use.usit.net>
Subject: Re: phone calls from hell

I almost hate to start a thread about something that will inevitably
implode into a middle-east-politics flamefest, but this reminds me of the
time the newswires reported that 10% of Israel's population had attended
that peace rally in Tel-Aviv. Was it right after the Sabra-Shatilla massacre?
Anyway, the followup news (which of course never made the news) was that
it would not be physically possible for a third of that many people to
all be in that place (Kikar Square?) all at once.  The original numbers
were published by the Israeli "peace camp", who would have liked for
there to be that many people there.

100,000 people at a funeral?  I don't doubt that there were 100,000
people who would have liked to be there, but I am skeptical
that there's enough vehicles in Gaza to assemble 100,000 people  to a
funeral within a few hours.

It doesn't matter does it?  Everyone is willing to lie when they write
press releases; newspapers are willing to not check ridiculous claims (if
the claim comports with the publisher's outlook); and setting the record
straight doesn't help sell advertising, publishers really care how lazy
journalists are.

I saw a great interview with the man who invented the phrase "ethnic
cleansing" - a PR-agency guy in Boston under contract to the Bosnian
Government. He openly stated, that he doesn't get paid to write the
truth into press releases; he's paid to get his client's press releases
into opinion-molder's fax machines FIRST. The first press release always
wins. He also openly stated that he didn't know and didn't care if the
Bosnian-Serb militias were operating concentration camps or not; the
important thing was to fax the story to the American Jewish groups; he
knew that the very *word* concentration camp would catch their eye and
push them into agitating against the Serbs. He specifically stated,
that he was so proud of his cleverness, because the Croatian President
(foe of the Serbs) has a book under his belt ("Wastelands of Historical
Reality") that is packed full of some very hot anti-Semetism.

Alan Horowitz
alanh@infi.net

Thread