1996-02-08 - Re: stealth PGP?

Header Data

From: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
To: Harold Gabel <hgabel@vertex.ucls.uchicago.edu>
Message Hash: 002ab5447e5aa1cf86f39ab896b7f448041b5854ab19a9589bdff0bf902c8de0
Message ID: <199602081746.MAA06669@toxicwaste.media.mit.edu>
Reply To: <Pine.SOL.3.91.960208095752.18958B-100000@vertex.ucls.uchicago.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1996-02-08 18:28:49 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 02:28:49 +0800

Raw message

From: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 02:28:49 +0800
To: Harold Gabel <hgabel@vertex.ucls.uchicago.edu>
Subject: Re: stealth PGP?

> Also, how flawed is MIT pgp?  Is it really worth using international
> versions (i.e. ones written out of the USA which don't use RSA)?  Does
> the Gov't have some complaint about said versions?

Umm, I dont know.  How is MIT PGP flawed?  Besides a few known bugs,
of course.  There shouldn't be much difference, code-wise, between the
MIT version and the International version.  The major difference is
that MIT PGP has a license to use RSAREF which makes it legal to use
w.r.t. patent issues in the US.

AFAIK, there are no versions of PGP which do not use RSA.  They
all do.  The only difference is that MIT PGP uses RSAREF, whereas
the International versions use a non-licensed version of RSA.

-derek

Thread