1996-02-11 - Re: Regulation of citizen-alien communications (Was: Choices)

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Message Hash: 00a661bd3ec6d27225240b3606131932316b51cd17965cd815ba4cb96157cc34
Message ID: <ad42ecfe46021004d742@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Sun, 11 Feb 1996 17:55:42 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 1996 17:55:42 +0800
Subject: Re: Regulation of citizen-alien communications (Was: Choices)

At 7:02 AM 2/11/96, lmccarth@cs.umass.edu wrote:
>Padgett writes:
>> Gov does have the right (in fact the duty) to regulate communications
>> between citizens and non-citizens/sites in other lands
>
>(not wishing to start a flamewar) Why do you think so ?

It isn't so. There are no restrictions, regulations, rules, or guidelines
about communicating with non-citizens/sites. None. No permits are needed,
no forms have to be filled out, no government offices have to be visited to
explain one's reasons for communicating with a non-citizen.

Just pick up the phone, or type a message in your computer, or whatever. We
citizens of the U.S. do it many times a day.

(There are two special cases, which hardly make Padgett's point: "Trading
with the Enemy Act" sorts of restrictions which limit commercial contacts
with Cuba, North Korea, and a few other countries. And the espionage laws.
That is, give nuclear weapons info to North Korean and you're in big
trouble. And there are various other kinds of minor rules, such as that no
citizen may engage in private diplomacy, bypassing the normal channels. I
don't believe these special cases are what Padgett could have meant when he
described the regulatory powers of government.]

--Tim May, who is even now communicating with foreigners without regulation

Boycott espionage-enabled software!