1996-02-16 - RE: Some thoughts on the Chinese Net

Header Data

From: “Robichaux, Paul E” <perobich@ingr.com>
To: “cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 0189f466d78db4184b4d6994b3b4b8a18b4ea9e9c54e8cf830a6c6be36c20ebd
Message ID: <c=US%a=%p=INTERGRAPH%l=HQ6960215151749NX004800@hq13.pcmail.ingr.com>
Reply To: _N/A

UTC Datetime: 1996-02-16 09:49:42 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 16 Feb 1996 17:49:42 +0800

Raw message

From: "Robichaux, Paul E" <perobich@ingr.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 1996 17:49:42 +0800
To: "cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: RE: Some thoughts on the Chinese Net

Jon--

I would suggest that the Chinese solution to these problems is singular,
and simple: the total inability to conduct any transaction anonymously.

My guess would instead be that the Chinese would register IP addresses to
individuals. The precedent's been set already with registration of
photocopiers, typewriters, and mimeograph machines. As Perry pointed out,
RSA-signing each and every packet would be prohibitive. Assuming that their
real interest is in controlling diffusion of information to and from the
'net-- and not moderating what goes on in the Chinese intranet (or
inter-intra-net, I guess) I think address registration would be a logical
first step.

The simple portion is a national (Chinese) database associating true
names with key IDs. These keys will be usable only to sign documents, not
to encrypt information, similar to the Federal DSS.

If the binding is instead true name <-> IP address, then the censors drop,
block, delay, or spoof packets from thoughtcriminals instead of refusing to
sign them. This avoids both the signature overhead and the expenditure of
hard currency on gwai lo.

Now that all information has a recognizable source, dissidents in China
can be arrested, and unacceptable information never makes it into the
country.

Registering IP addresses of course won't block out thoughtcrime originating
outside China, but unless everyone else adopts the packet signing scheme you
outline the censors will still have to filter incoming material
semi-manually. As far as I can tell their government is at least as
interested in keeping things in as they are keeping out the Four Horsemen.

-Paul

Thread