1996-02-16 - Re: Cypherpunks Decency Act

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 0a08bd976bb4366b534e6605c266e585d577b3c3c544443f4688c6382551f5b3
Message ID: <m0tnT11-0008zfC@pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 17 Feb 1996 04:30:26 +0800

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 1996 04:30:26 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Cypherpunks Decency Act

At 02:50 AM 2/16/96 -0500, t byfield wrote:
>At 9:43 PM 2/15/96, jdoe-agamemnon@alpha.c2.org wrote:
>
>>>Perry sent me a polite note asking why I had posted the original post, and
>>>He suggested that in the future I make it clear why I think my posts are
>>>relevent to the subject of the list.
>>
>>Is this what we call the chilling effect?
>
>        No.
>        bell@pacifier--surely not a coincidence--has indulged himself
>excessively. Anyone checked out the LD angle on him?

Hey, I resent the implication, here!  Three months ago I wouldn't have known
what you meant by that, but "comparatively" long ago I learned that "LD" is
Detweiler, who apparently has a long and established history of using
aliases.  It sounds like you're trying to imply that I am either a Detweiler
"tentacle" (yet another term of art that I learned in the last couple of
months) or am somehow in league with him.  Right?!?

Well, "It ain't so."  Now, I realize how difficult it is for me to prove
that I'm not some other particular person, but from the snippets I've
managed to see over the last few months on Internet, this Detweiler
character appears to know FAR more about the use of Internet than I do. (He
apparently is a sleazy bastard, but then you probably know much more about
that than I do...)  Hell, it was only a couple of months ago that I even
learned how to use PGP with Eudora.  I've only had a full SLIP account for a
few months before that.

In fact, so far (luckily for me, I guess) my only contact with LD is that I
was flamed by him, actually under the Detweiler name, when I first posted
"Assassination Politics" to various USENET areas.  At that point, I had no
idea of his checkered history (still don't know much; I'd appreciate hearing
more) and he apparently assumed that I was some Tim May clone.  He even
referred to May as "TCM," a set of initials that mystified me for a week,
until some kind soul sent me a small snippet of the Cybernomicon, the part
dealing with "net-killings."

At that point, he ignored me, probably classifying me as a clueless newbie.
His flaming ceased when he discovered that I was not only not "in the TCM
camp," but I hadn't even heard of May and Cypherpunks.

In any case, as I understand it from vague commentary, some of you people
"out there" know a lot more about LD, and it should be possible for me to
show my history in enough detail to convince anybody that I'm not Detweiler.
 Hell, somebody posted my correct address just a few hours ago (it was no
secret; I am well aware of USENET indexing, and I've freely published my
address and the correct, current phone number in a USENET area within the
last couple of months, and I've never had an unlisted telephone number.

Jim Bell, N7IJS, 7214 Corregidor, Vancouver, WA, USA 98664, 360-696-3911
(they changed area codes from 216 last year),  MIT Class of 1980, Course 5,
Chemistry major.

"James Dalton Bell"  (yes, THOSE Daltons!)

jimbell@pacifier.com

Klaatu Burada Nikto.

Thread