1996-02-15 - Re: Linux on the Mac

Header Data

From: cjs@netcom.com (cjs)
To: olbon@dynetics.com (Clay Olbon II)
Message Hash: 0a75adabe0b46b26570f5beef33dc60b387d0f39d7891582a91a3b545081e1e9
Message ID: <199602141526.HAA09379@netcom20.netcom.com>
Reply To: <v01540b05ad47941dd32c@[193.239.225.200]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-02-15 11:19:18 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 19:19:18 +0800

Raw message

From: cjs@netcom.com (cjs)
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 19:19:18 +0800
To: olbon@dynetics.com (Clay Olbon II)
Subject: Re: Linux on the Mac

> In the latest PowerPC news it is reported that OSF is porting Linux
> to the Mac with the support of Apple.  Apple has a web site -
> www.mklinux.apple.com that discusses this and has a link to the OSF
> site.  In my book, this is a GoodThing(tm).  Of course, being a huge
> fan of both the Mac and unix might put me in the minority ;-)

They aren't *really* porting Linux to powermac. They're throwing a
little bit of paint on OSF/1 and hiding some stuff in libc.

Looks to me like they are basicly trying to ca$h in on the Linux name
and reputation without contributing anything to the cause.

I personally think that Linux International (they still around?)
should put out a counter press-release informing the public that the
Apple/OSF Linux shares only the name.

Christopher

Thread