1996-02-29 - Re: A brief comparison of email encryption protocols

Header Data

From: cme@cybercash.com (Carl Ellison)
To: Laurence Lundblade <lgl@qualcomm.com>
Message Hash: 0c858944f36ae43b42ef7009eafdbec7f6a8c875b6e0ea0cc9584b3db20d70b5
Message ID: <v02140b15ad5b14e9fad1@[204.254.34.231]>
Raw Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1996 06:09:58 +0800

Raw message

From: cme@cybercash.com (Carl Ellison)
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1996 06:09:58 +0800
To: Laurence Lundblade <lgl@qualcomm.com>
Subject: Re: A brief comparison of email encryption protocols

We're working on some of these issues, as we speak, over in the SPKI mailing
list.  Some of my contributions are available on

        http://www.clark.net/pub/cme/html/cert.html

At 20:02 2/16/96, Laurence Lundblade wrote:

>The Trust Model
>---------------
>Any fully implemented system will have to choose some form of a trust
>model.  Some possibilities are:
>  * web of trust
>  * strict hierarchy
>  * web of hierarchies or some other hybrid

The one some of us advocate is a web of certificates, each one of which
assigns a specific attribute or permission to a public key.
These certificates are not tied to human identities, but a human identity
can be attached as yet another attribute of a public key via a certificate
for that purpose.

For many attributes to be attached to a public key [e.g., permission to
spend money, permission to speak for an organization, ...] there is no
need for a human identity beyond the implicit one of "the person who
knows how to exercise the indicated private key" which comes with any
public key.

>The Certificate format
>----------------------
>It seems possible to pick a certificate format independent of the other
>issues.  Doing so would allow us to leverage components like we do with
>other data objects like MIME.  There probably only two major contenders:
>  * X.509 v3
>     + broadly supported by standard bodies
>     + supported by several industries (e.g., banking)
>     + very rich and flexible
>     + ASN.1
>     - ASN.1 (tough for a student to get an ASN.1 compiler)
>     - complicated
>  * PGP keys
>     + widely deployed
>     + simple to write code for
>     - difficult to lookup (linear search on key id required)
>     - too simple to support many trust models and distribution systems

We're proposing a third certificate format.  X.509 is an identity
certificate, unless one bends it severely.  Signed PGP keys are also
a kind of identity certificate.  Our proposal is an attribute certificate,
not an identity certificate.  It is simple to lookup these certs.
Like X.509, my certs have an Issuing-name and a Subject-name -- but
they're both cryptographic hashes of public keys.  You can take a portion
of those hashes [e.g., low order 12 bits] and use it to index a hash table
of certificates or keys.  The cert is more general than X.509 -- that is,
it includes all of X.509 and then some [because we don't require some
binding to a human identity, don't require a Certificate Authority, ...].
Our first format is RFC822-like -- so it's easy to parse and generate and
read and use.  It's very rich and flexible.  We're working to make it
an IETF standard.  It does not use ASN.1 and has none of the baroqueness
of X.509.

In fact, these certs can be formed as PGP clear-signed messages.

>Note that both use the RSA algorithms, so they are interchangeable at some
>very basic level.

We're using RSA or whatever else you want [e.g., DSA].  In fact, in our
cert format, you can use DSA to sign an RSA key, a PGP key to sign a
Fortezza key, etc.

 - Carl

|Carl M. Ellison          cme@cybercash.com   http://www.clark.net/pub/cme |
|CyberCash, Inc., Suite 430                   http://www.cybercash.com/    |
|2100 Reston Parkway           PGP 2.6.2: 61E2DE7FCB9D7984E9C8048BA63221A2 |
|Reston, VA 22091      Tel: (703) 620-4200                                 |