1996-02-24 - Re: TIS–Building in Big Brother for a Better Tommorrow

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 0e50be2a12ec28d8861a184fb259a57f3412ade7184174625c95cec7caf2bb89
Message ID: <m0tqMqf-00091UC@pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 25 Feb 1996 06:56:21 +0800

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 1996 06:56:21 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: TIS--Building in Big Brother for a Better Tommorrow

At 12:02 AM 2/23/96 -0800, Bill Frantz wrote:
>At 11:16 PM 2/22/96 -0800, Timothy C. May wrote:
>>And we should all remember, again, that basic observation: even if "key
>>escrow" is needed to recover *stored* files, it sure ain't needed for
>>*communications*!!
>
>If a key is being generated for two way communications, then it should be
>generated via a protocol like Diffie-Hellman which leaves no recoverable
>knowlege of the key outside the participants, and discarded when the
>session is over of frequently, whichever occurs more often.  This procedure
>will reduce the incentive for rubber hose attacks to recover these keys.

I noted long ago that one disadvantage with having a single, standardized
encryption chip (like Clipper, even with the key-escrow un-enabled) is that
the NSA has plenty of money in its budget to build a fake chip that can be
installed during a black-bag job.  True, if they could fake one chip they
could fake 10, but it's harder to do and the demand for any single kind of
chip might drop to one per year.   Unfortunately, a sufficiently-complex
FPLD would probably sub for anything if it were in the right package...

Thread