1996-02-10 - Re: Fair Credit Reporting Act and Privacy Act

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: jamesd@echeque.com
Message Hash: 0f910f03ea610e71323f70ca5b3df6210ea9b139824e280594fac50c535205c7
Message ID: <199602100357.TAA22301@ix10.ix.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 9 Feb 96 18:28:56 PST

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 96 18:28:56 PST
To: jamesd@echeque.com
Subject: Re: Fair Credit Reporting Act and Privacy Act

At 08:39 AM 2/9/96 -0800, jamesd wrote:
>If you have one law for men who run businesses and one law [for] other folks,
>then we have selective enforcement and application of the laws,
>that enables governments to act selectively and capriciously.
>For example here in California private citizens who attempt to organize
>recall elections are often subject to extraordinary and confiscatory fines.

On the other hand, of course, there are laws that are ostensibly for
the purposes of regulating businesses whose primary effect is
to limit the privacy or actions of individuals.  For instance,
California's law requiring that mailbox renters provide two forms of ID
and make their mailbox companies agents for service of process
is ostensibly to "protect" consumers by regulating businesses that
operate out of mailboxes (which the law claims there are 7 million of here);
it furthermore lets the Post Office specify what kind of ID to use
(which some local postmasters are far more extreme about than others),
and requires revealing True Addresses.

#--
#				Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, stewarts@ix.netcom.com / billstewart@attmail.com +1-415-442-2215