1996-02-04 - Re: [NOISE] Futplex makes the news!

Header Data

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
To: lmccarth@cs.umass.edu
Message Hash: 13e464855b7d52ce918e92f65d8e73e50fb5c1fdd861e30580e142e40bc7c7dd
Message ID: <199602040257.VAA20379@pipe3.nyc.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 4 Feb 1996 11:22:26 +0800

Raw message

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 1996 11:22:26 +0800
To: lmccarth@cs.umass.edu
Subject: Re: [NOISE] Futplex makes the news!

   Lewis,

   Take heart and wisdom from this experience of being caught
   up in public events. Being used, and abused, by
   institutions for their impersonal, otherwordly, purposes.

   Public disputes are like that, when your personal
   advocacies are distorted, twisted back in unexpected forms
   in assault on your seemingly impregnable position.

   Well done for this foray. But be prepared for shrewd
   opposition again as you continue behaving responsibly
   to challenge the day's short-sighted conventional wisdom.

   I think you shouldn't worry about thesis advisors, the
   thoughtful ones will understand your action and its
   underlying principles. They may be less daring and more
   cautious than you -- such is the burden of maturity -- but
   I suspect they will admire your audacity, and remember when
   they did the same in younger days when public disputes
   seemed more alluring and tractable -- as I do.

   Thanks much.

   John

Thread