1996-02-07 - Re: Windows PGP mail reader

Header Data

From: Ted Garrett <teddygee@visi.net>
To: jims@conch.aa.msen.com
Message Hash: 1cf581d4a063eda4bbe80fc5ceb93b9aa695ece45326a749604ee243f7c97b41
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960207092918.007298b4@mail.visi.net>
Raw Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 04:25:53 +0800

Raw message

From: Ted Garrett <teddygee@visi.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 04:25:53 +0800
To: jims@conch.aa.msen.com
Subject: Re: Windows PGP mail reader

At 09:56 PM 2/3/96 GMT, you wrote:
>In article <4eaksb$6i9@recepsen.aa.msen.com>, jims@conch.aa.msen.com says...
>>Hi.  Can anyone recommend a Windows based email/POP3 reader that can decrypt
>>content?  Please reply  via email:
>
>Have a look at Pegasus Mail.  It handles PGP very nicely with a recent
>addition. by John Navas, both are free:
>http://users.aimnet.com/~jnavas/winpmail.htm

I recently picked up "PGP Windows Shell".  I have found it to be an excellent utility for encrypting and decrypting messages as easily as cutting to and pasting from the clipboard.  All operations are automated, you can use whatever mailer you want, and it's freeware.  The URL is http://iquest.com/~aegisrc/utils2.shtml

Also, if you want something to automate usage of the cypherpunk style remailers, check out Joel McNamara's Private Idaho.  It's an excellent tool, also freeware, and is available at URL http://www.eskimo.com/~joelm/pi.html

Another utility you might like to look at (of course it's freeware too) is PGP WinFront.  While it's a little more cumbersome than PGP Windows Shell, it has all the same functionality.  There is also a shareware utility available from the same URL, called PGP QuickFront.  The combination of QuickFront and WinFront make using PGP under windows almost pleasant.  It can be found at http://netaccess.on.ca/ugali/crypt/ .

Thread