1996-02-16 - Re: True democracy the electronic way

Header Data

From: “Vladimir Z. Nuri” <vznuri@netcom.com>
To: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Message Hash: 1cf674a3aaef8e7112fc08907cefd6761dd3dd6474a1047522fc6bdf97d737d9
Message ID: <199602151940.LAA04320@netcom18.netcom.com>
Reply To: <ad480f2b0f02100420ba@[205.199.118.202]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-02-16 03:48:54 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 16 Feb 1996 11:48:54 +0800

Raw message

From: "Vladimir Z. Nuri" <vznuri@netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 1996 11:48:54 +0800
To: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Subject: Re: True democracy the electronic way

>>1. this is an extremely interesting problem in my opinion. the ideal
>>form of government has not been achieved in many millenia. could it
>>be solved given the full power of the information age, i.e.
>>if anyone knows of
>>a mailing list to discuss this concept of trying to apply technology
>>to government, I would be most interested. the closest I can see
>

>You might try the "Cypherwonks" mailing list that L. Detweiler set up a
>couple of years ago to explore the very ideas you are supporting here. You
>might find you have a lot in common with him.

interesting you should mention that. because of my interests
I've heard various legends that this list (long ago in a galaxy far away)
was sabotaged by piles of trash sent
through anonymous remailers, and the moderator quit instead of put
up with it (not provided the tools to keep out mail from unsubscribers).
perhaps a little data point about forms of information
technology (and the absence of it) that *doesn't* necessarily lead
to an improved form of human interaction.

apparently there is some pretty harsh antagonism towards "electronic
democracy" among the people best suited to experiment with it, i.e.
the pioneers of cyberspace. but hell, alienation and nihilism is
so much more convenient and versatile than bubbly enthusiasm.
it's a one-size-fits-all philosophy. "screw everyone!!!"  "it'll never
work!!!"  "government == tyranny!!"

something tells me that "electronic democracy" is going to survive
the death of an early mailing list dedicated to its discussion, however.

but thanks very much for the pointer,  Klaus! I'm always impressed with
the helpful spirit of everyone on this list.

(speaking of which I'd be interested in talking to anyone with spare
resources to start mailing lists.)

--Vlad

Thread